Designs D.I.Y. HowTo's Looms Projects Site Related Upcycling Videos Warping

Celtic Knotwork Warp Faced Band

Sunday November 4, 2012

This method works for ANY loom, not just inkle!

According to Mary Atwater's booklet on Inkle Weaving (found here) this is "European Method" of warping. There are 2 background colors and a pattern thread (doubled--but treated as one thread) in the threading order.

For inkle loom, O=OPEN position (up shed) and H=HEDDLED position (down shed).

For Rigid Heddle, O=HOLE and H=SLOT.

For other looms, O=Shed 1 and H=Shed 2.

When using a rigid heddle frame, just use the shed blocks on your frame as usual.

If the rigid heddle is small and hanging in neutral (as with backstrap or inkle loom), use a shed stick to keep the sheds open. If weaving this with inkle, again, use a shed stick to keep the sheds open.

When warped correctly (7 of the pattern threads will be in the up position), the pick up patterning begins on the UP SHED.

Click the image and then when it gets larger, right click and "download" or "save as".

Celtic Knotwork Warp Faced Band

PS: I do not talk thru my nose, my mic just makes it sound that way. Embarassed

Joyce

Filed under categories: Designs, HowTo's, Videos

22 comments so far… Add yours! :D

cher says:

Hi Joyce

This is so clear and shows a beginner exactly how this should be done. thankyou for taking the time to show us this in your video.

Cher xx

Posted: Sunday November 4, 2012

Jacki says:

Once again, great tutorial! Thanks Joyce!

Posted: Sunday November 4, 2012

Joyce says:

Thank you ladies! Be sure to download Mary Atwater’s booklet too! In addition to European Method, which is shown here, she also has South American Pebble Weave which is a lot of fun.

Once you “get this” you can make your own designs with graph paper, Excel, PC Stitch, etc….basically anything that’s a grid!

Posted: Sunday November 4, 2012

Angie says:

Thank you for such a clear video of this method. I never “got it” before but now I think I have.

Posted: Saturday November 24, 2012

Joyce says:

Glad to have been of service. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes!

Posted: Saturday November 24, 2012

Joyce m.gentile says:

Hi Joyce, I love the idea of celtic knotwork. I’m going to try this someday soon.

Posted: Saturday December 8, 2012

Mary says:

Would love to see a wide shot of what the woven part of this band looks like.

Posted: Monday January 14, 2013

Joyce says:

@Mary

It looks like this (copy and paste the link in your address bar) https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/29399_10151084215630044_527125938_n.jpg

Posted: Tuesday January 15, 2013

Cat says:

Just found this site and am so grateful for all the tutorials. This video is exactly what I needed. Trying to learn to read the patterns. However, I still do not understand how to warp it to begin with.

Posted: Wednesday January 23, 2013

Joyce says:

The draft on this page was written for inkle. If you’re not familiar with how to warp an inkle loom, there are a lot of videos on utube that will show you. If you’re using a rigid heddle, substitute the H for slot and the O for hole in the heddle. If you’re not familiar with how to warp a rigid heddle, check the warping section of this site. Link to warping is near the top just under the search box.

Hope that helps! Happy weaving.

Posted: Thursday January 24, 2013

raithnat says:

Joyce I enjoyed watching your video. You speak clearly and explain hos to do this. I still have trouble wrappiong my mind around how to warp this one. don’t supposed you could video how to set this up?

Posted: Sunday June 9, 2013

Joyce says:

Hi raithnat!

Before I can answer, I need to know what kind of loom you will be doing this on.

Basically, the threading order is indicated on the chart. You create your border any way you want it. Then it’s 2 light and 2 dark. The 2 dark threads are treated as a single thread.

If you’re using a fat dark yarn (as the pattern thread) then it’s 2 light and 1 dark alternating, with 13 dark threads making up the pattern.

Hope that helps!

Posted: Tuesday June 11, 2013

Jackie McMath says:

I too am a bit confounded on the warping. I have a rigid heddle loom. If I understand correctly I put the lighter thread in on e slot and one hole and the darker goes two threads through either the slot or the hole depending on the pattern…? I so enjoyed your tutorial. I’m a beginner and have made several projects successfully but am looking for something a bit more complex and would love to learn to do this. Thanks for your help!

Posted: Saturday July 27, 2013

Joyce says:

If you look closely at the chart provided, it will tell you what colors are threaded through the O and H positions. For Rigid Heddle, O=HOLE and H=SLOT. Hope that helps.

Posted: Saturday July 27, 2013

Jackie McMath says:

Thanks for your earlier reply. A bit at a loss as I believe I have the warping correct and thought your video was very clear and that I understood it. But I am not getting Celtic knots…rather my pattern looks more like just blocks of straight lines. I’m unsure as to whether this means I’ve warped incorrectly or am not wefting correctly. Any thoughts?

Posted: Monday July 29, 2013

Joyce says:

I would have to see pictures of how you have it warped. If you’re getting blocks, try looking at the under side of the cloth, it might be coming out backwards for some reason.

I would like to see what you are producing to really help you. It's possible you are not beating the weft into the fell of the cloth tight enough. You should be producing a warp faced cloth, not a balanced weave.

Hope that helps!

Posted: Monday July 29, 2013

Jean Skinner says:

I enjoyed your video but would like to know the yarn you are using. I have 2 ply wool and red and black but I think I need 3 colors, do you have any suggestions as to how this would work? I have been trying to get this for a while, until I saw your video and now I understand it. I am going to try your graph and see if it works out on a rigid heddle loom. I am using a table loom I pushed back the heddles and removed the beater bar so I think it is now a rigid heddle loom with a floating heddle. right?
Thanks

Posted: Thursday October 17, 2013

Joyce says:

Thank you! I am using yarn frogged from a sweater. It’s 100% cotton.

Use whatever color combinations speak to you. If unsure, try any of the online inkle band pattern generators for a visual and to give you ideas. Play.

Now that you understand the process, I hope there’s no stopping you! :)

About the heddles…what you need are 2 sheds. How you achieve that doesn’t matter. Anything that holds warp under tension is a loom. You can create warp faced weaves (which is what inkle weaving is) on any loom.

Happy Weaving!

Posted: Thursday October 17, 2013

Amanda says:

I’m going to try this on my RH, but before I get into threading the heddle, I have a problem. My Ashford uses little plastic ties to connect the tie sticks. I’ve had trouble before with them breaking, and the tie stick warping a bit, when I do thin bands. Do you have any suggestions?

Posted: Thursday March 13, 2014

Joyce says:

Yes, I hear a lot of people having that same problem with the Ashford loom. I buy stuff made in the USA so don’t have any personal experience with your loom. Write to them or where you bought it and ask for replacements.

In a pinch, I’m told that Texsolv (search it if you don’t know what that is) makes for very good ties for the beam stick (what you call tie stick) and use a smaller and thicker beam stick when doing bands. A bit of 1/2” dowel will serve the purpose nicely. I use some kind of grippy nylon braided cord. Shoe laces also work well. Hope that helps.

Posted: Thursday March 13, 2014

JeanSkinner says:

Do you have any instructions for the Sunnah heddle? My husband made one for me with holes, short slots and long slots and now I would like to know how to thread this loom and also how to pick up the pattern threads and make a band, using No. 10 cotton for background and 2 ply wool for the pattern. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted: Thursday March 20, 2014

Joyce says:

Look for videos by Susan Foulkes on youtube.

Posted: Thursday March 20, 2014

E-mail is not shared, visible or required but is helpful to me to be able to contact you if you need me to.

(not shared or visible).